Sunday, December 27, 2009

Baby food making day!

Every other Sunday afternoon (sometimes every Sunday) I make James' food to last for about a week or two.  Today... Blueberries, apple, and pear puree.  He loves it!
     I get a lot of people asking me why do I waste time and make his food.  Well I actually enjoy it!  I know I am giving him the best I can (fresh food rarely gets recalled) and  I think it makes me feel great because he loves my cooking even if it is simple! LOL  Anyway making baby food is so easy even the working mom can get this done.   There are a lot of baby food making contraptions out there but it can get a little expensive. If you have a pot and a blender or a food processor, you're in business.

1 cup of Blueberries- Fresh or Frozen
1 Bartlett Pear- Peeled, core, and chopped in to chunks
1 Gala Apple-Peeled, core, and chopped in to chunks
Dash of Cinnamon (optional)


Place fruit and cinnamon in to a pot and barely cover with cool water.



Boil for about 10 minutes or until the apples and pears are soft. If you are using fresh blueberries, you may need to add more time.



I like to boil the water down so there is only about an ounce or two of water left.
After that, put you fruit into your food processor/blender and mix until you get the texture you are happy with.  If it is still to thick you can always add a tiny bit of your cooking water.
I like to freeze my baby's food in ice cube trays because it will only last a couple of days in the fridge.
You can find trays made especially for baby food at Babies R Us- http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2721830



I promise you your baby will love it!  BUT Please check with your pediatrician before your baby tries new foods!  Apples and pears make a great starter food (6 months) but blueberries should not be given to your baby until at least 6 months!
For more info please check out these websites:

Here is what I was snacking on while I was cooking! 

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful photos! You could make your own Food Network recipe site!

    ReplyDelete